Monday, January 16, 2012

The Road to Victory

It was unlike any time before, although I’ve done this at least 4
times. The crowd roaring with such excitement waiting for their
children or friends to enter the gymnasium and perform on the well
known blue mats. The backroom filled with many girls in uniform messing
around with their best friends, usually running over the last 8 counts
which they have already done at least 3 times. The judges anxiously
waiting to see the competition and what each team has brought to the
table this year. This was a cheerleading competition, it wasn't just
any competition though, this was states.


        I can never predict what the outcome will be after I step off the mat
with my team, all I can do is trust. Trust that my team will pull
through as one, and hit every elite stunt, every back tuck, every toe
touch, pike, hurdler, and every dance move with precision and accuracy.
Doing all of this with the biggest smile on my face and the loudest
voice. Cheerleading isn't like any other sport, usually you have
another chance, or another quarter to be the winning team. One shot, we
only have one chance to prove to the judges that we deserve to win with
our short but so long 2 minutes and 30 second routine. Working all year
to perfect this routine, for only one shot to win. With the judges
only standing around 2 feet away from the front of the mat, there is no
room for mistakes. Every motion hit has to be tight, strong, and
attacked with confidence.

        “Kingston High School Varsity, your on deck!” Finally, I'm almost
there. Behind the large curtain that will reveal me to the crowd, the
judges, and the place I will perform my routine. In the time before I
sit in a huddle and review the routine in my head with my team, were
all nervous. Just finished warming up tumbling, stunts, jumps and
formation changes, though I’m ready. “And now, we have Kingston
Varsity!” Running out on the mat with my team and get into my first
formation “T-I-G-E-R-S lets go tigers!” Awaiting the sound of my music,
looking down at my sneakers, I'm so excited and anxious that I can feel
my heart beating out of my chest. The music starts and every nervous
feeling goes away and my adrenaline kicks in. I throw up every stunt as
if I'm wonder women, I have all the strength in the world. Spirit,
enthusiasm, energy, determination, smiles the seeds to cheerleading. At
this very moment I feel powerful, I can see the wow factor me and my
team are putting on the judges. I can see the 1st place trophy getting
closer and closer. After landing the last stunt sequence I end the
routine with my last motion and a proud “Kingston!” We run off the mat
and chat among ourselves about what went on throughout the last 2
minutes. All is good. I now wait, wait for the rest of the teams to
perform, and too wait for the judges to combine scores and see who the
winners really are. “3rd place goes to Minisink High School!” “2nd
place goes to Cornwall High School” “and 1st place, goes to...Kingston
High School!” We all stand up as fast as we can and jump around,
hugging, and cheering at the top of our lungs, we did it together.

        Cheerleading is my escape, it is the one thing I can do that makes me
forget about having a bad day, and puts me in a happier mood. I get to
see all my best friends and to do the one thing I love. The connection
that I have with my teammates is like no other. My teammates are there
for me when i breakdown, and when im standing so tall. I have never had
a bond like this with any other person, and it is the best feeling in
the world, and I never want to loose it. Cheeleading is my life.

Hatherley Tucker
Sophomore
Varsity Cheerleader

BE SURE TO FOLLOW THE KHS CHEERLEADERS AS WE KICK OFF OUR COMPETITION SEASON 1/21 IN PINE BUSH!!! *\0/*

No comments:

Post a Comment